Where Could I Get The Latest Data Dump (Before It Closed)?

Discussion in 'Using DMOZ Data' started by Graph, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Graph

Graph New Member

As you all know, DMOZ closed last month. And I want a copy of the DMOZ data before it closed. I searched DMOZ.org for the latest dump of the data but all it shows up is the "We're closed" page.

Where could I get the latest dump before it closed?

I'm creating a successor to DMOZ so I need this data.

Also, is the content from this site, dmoztools.net, using the latest data dump or does it contain updates after the latest dump? Also, does dmoztools.net contain anything besides the latest dump?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Graph

Graph New Member

I have heard that some people scraped the data before DMOZ shut down: seobook.com/dmoz-shut-down

So I'm unsure whether the scraped data is more up-to-date than the RDF data dump.

I've also heard that the links submissions on the old DMOZ that were not yet approved will be passed on the new official successor to be approved? Is it true? If it's true then that's data that is not available to me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. pvgool

pvgool DMOZ Meta DMOZ Meta

In this thread you can find a link to a copy of the last rdf

> is the content from this site, dmoztools.net, using the latest data dump
    Yes. But please do not scrape that website.
    > or does it contain updates after the latest dump?
    > does dmoztools.net contain anything besides the latest dump?
    No, it is just a copy based on the last dump.

> So I'm unsure whether the scraped data is more up-to-date than the RDF data dump.
    probably the dump is more up-to-date as it was created just before shutting down

> I've also heard that the links submissions on the old DMOZ that were not yet approved
    > will be passed on the new official successor to be approved? Is it true?
    It is our (the editor community) intention to start a new directory based on the old DMOZ data, including all suggestions that were not approved yet.
    So, yes it is true.
    > If it's true then that's data that is not available to me.
    Correct, that data is not available to you