Welcome to Resource Zone.

Prevent Edit URL Screen From Changing URL

vandalia

Curlie Editor
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Location
West Virginia, United States
How do I prevent the Curlie edit URL screen from replacing spaces in URLs with + characters?

This modification of the URL produces an undesirable result in the linked page.

Is it possible to force the screen to accept the URL as I have entered it?
 
Last edited:

vandalia

Curlie Editor
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Location
West Virginia, United States
I composed a response, but the forum software won't allow me to post it, just as it wouldn't allow me to post a detailed original message. Can you give me the necessary permissions to correct this?
 

Elper

Curlie Admin
RZ Admin
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
You are now editor here, but I'm not convinced that this forum will allow you to post a live URL... maybe try the editor forum instead (which does allow urls) ?
 

vandalia

Curlie Editor
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Location
West Virginia, United States
Even as an editor, the forum won't allow me to post a URL. So, here is my original response, with URLs redacted:


I was hoping there might be a way of forcing the Curlie edit URL screen to substitute %20 for spaces in URLS when encoding them, instead of using the + character, but apparently this is not possible.


The operator of the website involved in the issue I'm having has indicated they would attempt to fix the problem, but haven't yet.


To reproduce the issue, start at [redacted] and search for any locality in the U.S., in this case, Havre de Grace, Maryland. The resulting page is at [redacted]. On this page, the city name in the search field at the top of the page displays correctly.
Good.png

If, however, I replace the spaces in the URL with the + character, as the Curlie edit URL screen does, the resulting URL is [redacted]. As you can see, the city name in the search field at the top of the page now displays incorrectly, with + characters replacing each space in the name.
Bad.png

The + character should not appear in the place name displayed in the search field of the page after the URL has been corrected so that it's properly encoded.


I've seen this behavior before on other websites that have URLs encoded using the + character in place of spaces. Note that replacing %2C with a comma in the URL of this website has no effect on the resulting page.


Since composing this original response, I've received a determination from the operator of the website where this issue takes place. The United States Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Flood Map Service Center will not change the way their website works and instead recommends that we update our software to account for our needs.


In conclusion, the ideal solution would be to have an option to force the Curlie edit URL screen to substitute %20 for spaces in URLS when encoding them, instead of using the + character. Is anyone else interested in having this capability?
 

Elper

Curlie Admin
RZ Admin
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
I see the editing interface converts spaces to %20 and then back to space characters - so this issue applies to the Curlie Search engine only?
 

vandalia

Curlie Editor
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Location
West Virginia, United States
This issue is occurring at Regional> North America> United States> West Virginia> Localities> U> Upper Falls for the listing titled United States Department of Homeland Security: Federal Emergency Management Agency.

From the Editor Main page for the category, when I enter a URL into the Add site field and click the button, I am taken to the Add URL page, where the URL has automagically had the spaces in the URL converted into + characters. This is the source of this issue.

As a result, the live, public directory page features a link using + characters in place of space characters.

If I click the EDIT button for the listing on the Editor Main page, the resulting Update Listing page shows the URL to contain + characters in place of space characters.

Once the unwanted conversion takes place, it's persistent across the entire system.

Of course, the Add site utility makes the same conversion for all submitted URLs that contain space characters, but this website is the only one I've added to this category that misbehaves as a result.

Note that the Curlie documentation calls the Add URL page the edit URL screen, which is the term I initially used for the same thing.
 
Top Bottom