Welcome to Resource Zone.

Huh?

Thread starter #1
There's an category I thought my website would fit into perfectly. Heck, my website does what that category is called. It was submitted years ago now. It is still not listed.

So I figure, hey, they obviously need help maintaining this category! So I fill out an editor form, mention I run my own site that would fit into this category, and other sites I'd add that they don't have listed, that do the same thing. I thought the application looked pretty good.

I'm thinking this would be great. I help out, and make this a more active category. Perhaps see why my site doesn't get listed, too. Since I know it's the correct category, and it does what the category mentions.

I get replied automatically, saying that this category has been taken care of, and doesn't need help. More than two years and still no listing? I've seen other things change in that page, so someone(s) doing something.

Any suggestions? I'm thumb is starting to get pretty sore.

Moderator #2

Artisands

DMOZ Meta
Curlie Meta
saying that this category has been taken care of, and doesn't need help.
What the letter actually says is:
you have chosen a category that is already well represented, or is broader than we typically assign to a new editor.
The second half of this statement (bolding mine) is more than likely the reason for rejection. The reviewing editor probably though that the category was too large for a brand new editor. What category did you apply for?

You may want to have a look at FAQ, and possible choose a smaller area to re-apply should you decide to do so. :)

That category has a large pool of websites awaiting review. Overall, it's too large to make a good training ground - which is pretty well what you've already been told. You might be an expert in the subject matter but you haven't yet learned to edit.

Please choose something smaller. Once you can show that you're learning the ropes, you'll be able to request further permissions.

Moderator #5

shadow575

kEditall/kCatmv
Curlie Meta
Dalponis said:
I get replied automatically, saying that this category has been taken care of
I think its also important (especially for those who may be reading this thread) that its mentioned that this was not an automated reply. A human reviewer (meta or catmod editor) reviewed the application and decided it wasn't something that could be accepted. They then suggested that the reason included one or more of the most common reasons for denying an application.

Thread starter #6
Please choose something smaller. Once you can show that you're learning the ropes, you'll be able to request further permissions.
Sure, I'll do it, if that's what it takes to become an editor, but I do not know how I'll pass the screening.... Hey, maybe I'll be okay at taking care of Auto Appraisers.

https://curlie.org/Shopping/Vehicles/Autos/Appraisers/

Where can I find three pages that I'd link in that category? Google, it? Well, as strange as that sounds, I found three sites, that could be good. They are all from Ontario, but that category isn't broken up by province/state. Well, I'll send off another submission. Heck, I found hundreds of sites.

Let's just hope that category isn't to broad-based for a newbie... :)

Staff #7

motsa

Curlie Admin
If your goal is just "to become an editor", you may always fail. Ideally, you've found a category for a topic you enjoy which is suitable for new editors and is missing a number of sites that should be listed that aren't. A category that you're having trouble finding 3 unlisted yet listable sites for is probably not going to offer you enough experience as an editor in order for you to gain other categories. Unless you're actually told not to reapply, then just take each rejection as an opportunity to learn.

Thread starter #8
You say I cannot edit the category I want to, because I'm new. Fine.

So I'm told by you, to try out for a smaller category you think I could handle. Then I mention trying to find sites for it, and am able to(I was just thinking out loud), but you tell me I'll fail at that now? Well, what else can I do?

So I need experience to edit the category I full heartedly want to take care of, but need to take care of a smaller category, that I will never pass acceptance toward?

"I want to become an editor" of any other category to gain experience, so I can take care of the category that I think I can improve.

Nevertheless, I think I could take care of auto appraisals, so I don't see your point.

Staff #9

motsa

Curlie Admin
So I'm told by you, to try out for a smaller category you think I could handle. Then I mention trying to find sites for it, and am able to(I was just thinking out loud), but you tell me I'll fail at that now? Well, what else can I do?
I didn't say that. I was responding to your comment "Sure, I'll do it, if that's what it takes to become an editor" and just wanted to make it clear that just trying to become an editor (as opposed to wanting to become an editor of the category you're applying for) is likely to always meet with failure. As for "trying to find sites", you appeared to be expressing concern about where you'd find sites or whether the sites you'd found would be appropriate. If that's not the case, then great. Good luck with the reapplication. :)

Top Bottom